Yes, yes summer did just finish and we’re headed into fall, BUT where I live at the moment it’s chilly and it feels as if winter is actually just around the corner. This is my self assessed justification in loving all things fall.
The benefit of cooler weather is that I am inspired to start building a fall wardrobe, and to stop obsessing over summer apparel. My go to item at the moment for are boyfriend cardigans and capes. I’m obsessed! Mango, Zara and H&M all have great options as does Abercrombie & Fitch (randomly enough..has anyone noticed how their style has majorly changed?)
Chunky wool knits give off a great vintage chic vibe that’ll help your summer boho style transition nicely into fall. You don’t have to wave goodbye to your suede and flared goodies yet.
Check out some of my favs found at the above stores.
Here are some outfit ideas!
I had no idea I’d love the idea of light blue denim, whether distressed or not, still being around after all this time (my love for colored denim lasted all of 3 months, and then I was over it), but around it is, and still, I love it. Pair with a summery blouse and heels or a simple tank and those ankle boots, this summer staple might well follow us in into Fall where we’ll be wearing them with over-size sweaters, or structured pea coats and ankle boots. To keep this look put together and city chic, stay within the classics. Pairing jeans with those staples will make this look classy and keep it from becoming beach-y.
Check out some of the looks below for some outfit inspo!
Remember to experiment and have fun. Confidence is your biggest style asset.
We’ve gone and done it again. We’ve traipsed through the woods, across soggy marsh land esq situations and towards dried rocky river beds with breathtaking views to bring you this seasons trends, looks and general attitudes, dispositions and beautiful people.
Brent (photographer and creative genius) and I started the afternoon not knowing quite sure which of our models would show up to the shoot, this is obviously a stressful situation albeit hilarious. As life goes in our small town it just so happens that our models are our friends, and to our advantage they’re all beautiful, but they also have lives and jobs and so on. We met at Brents’ office downtown and with much fear I opened the door, fully not knowing who would be there but having a vague idea and a vague hope.
My fears were stilled because Matt was there, with his beautiful wife Jess. And so, as a troupe, we traipsed out to the truck to go find our location for the shoot that day. Location this time round happened to be Whiskeytown lake, at the back end, and we ended up bouncing down some dirt roads, through trees and into the wilderness stumbling upon the most beautiful vlei you could imagine. It seemed like a little pocket of something, something special and almost magical that I cant’t quite find the words to describe. There were still fresh bear, coyote and mountain lion prints in the squishy floor of the semi dried up cove. We were legitimately in the wilderness and were expectant of an impending wild beast attack at any given moment.
We put Matt into an outfit but were soon joined by a group of native spectators. Mountain people, I think. Or so they seemed. (They were probably just local farmers but my sense for extravagance pins them as mountain folk). They watched with much amusement, whilst puffing away on their joints, as Brent handled the camera and Matt handled the smolder, I in turned handled coughing away the puffy clouds. It was hilarious. I don’t know that they’d ever seen a photo shoot, and they’d make little comments here and there as if to encourage us in our exciting endeavor.
Hunter and his crew showed up then, and as it turned out, we were doing two shoots in one that day. After Hunter and his band, Gabriel Kansas, were done with their album shoot we proceeded with Hunter and Matt. It seemed so easy to shoot them together, both the most laid back guys, no posing needed. It was natural and it was real. After taking in the beauty of that place, and after watching Paul (from Gabriel Kanses) streak around with a Minnesota flag, which was hilarious, and also deciding on next location, we packed up and met Grace on the other side of Whiskeytown. Grace is flawless. A natural beauty who doesn’t try. She just is.
Again we traipsed and hiked/slithered down the side of what I assume to be the dried lake, and came to a rocky little beach where we shot the three of them together, and again, it was perfect. Brent captured them in such an amazing way, so at ease, so peaceful. It was as if we had stumbled upon them just being there. It was such a relaxing shoot, it seemed so easy.
Our outfits were inspired by winter wear; knit norwegian sweaters, scarves, the odd fur here and there, boots, blue grass, european class and that rough but sweet woodsy feel. This seasons winter wear is inspired by cozy but chic.
And so here it is, introducing our Into the Wild shoot. Enjoy! Also check out Brent’s website bvaphoto.com/blog.
Click on the first image to open the slideshow.
If you’re anything like me, you have denim in every color, style and even size, from super model skinny to boyfriend baggy. There is, however, just one that fulfills the job of every good jean and that is (in my own personal opinion), a good super dark blue wash, skinny jean. (Whether super skinny or not). This beauty can be dressed both up for ritz, or down for a cool summer day with a fun tank. We sometimes fail to realize the importance of such a simple article of clothing, but go ahead and check in your closet. Do you have the perfect one? One without holes, fade, cray stitching etc? Remember this is your One of Five articles, therefore keep the fancy and embellished stuff for another time.
In my opinion there should never be costume jewelry on your derriere. The reason? It lacks a sense of propriety and, again, class. You are not, in fact, a show horse. Leave the embellishments for the entertainers. The moment you realize that your outfit matches the lady riding the elephant at Cirque du Soleil is the moment you’ll find yourself taking off your clothes. Take pride in your natural beauty and sophistication, lustre! No need for extra embellishments.
Great denim need not be skin tight, but dont opt for baggy “because you’re trying to hide stuff”. A great fitting pair will hug you in all the right places. Know your body type! Do you have skinny legs and a booty? Or straight up and down, no curve. You’ll find that as soon as you start shopping for your body type, you’ll feel MUCH better about yourself, and your self-confidence will spike. If it means trying on 20 pairs till you find the right one, then do it. It’s so worth it. Addressing the issue of the skinny jean, I hear girls all the time say things like “oh I’m not skinny enough”, or, “they don’t look on me because of my body type”. I can and will say that 99% of the time this logic simply isn’t true. The only difference between skinny jeans and flared jeans are the cut from the calf down. Now if a boot cut denim looks better on you, then by all means, lets do that one. But never ever give in to insecurity simply because of the name of a pair of denim. Love your body and embrace who you are! Thats when you’ll look your best.
Below are some good denim looks
by Cat Russell
It seems like the sun has finally decided to show us it’s beautiful face! Gone are the morose clouds, endless rains and foggy mornings. Instead we find the birds chirping and the kids frolicking. You finally have peace about putting your heavy winter boots away and embracing the warm tingling sensation of the sun on your feet.
It’s time to revisit our shoes, the ones we wear in the Spring and Summer, and if you’re like me, sometimes, in the Winter. I’m loving everything native, leather, easy, comfortable and something that reminds us of when we were young and carefree. Summer in California is about re-living your childhood. Everyday.
To start off with, you need a good, solid, go-to summer sandal. It’s the shoe that you’ll end up wearing the most, and with most everything in your closet. If you choose a good leather pair, they’ll even last you a few seasons. The style should be simple, but classic. A slip-on, so you can run out the door. Next you’ll need a good solid ballet flat, something that’s comfortable and makes a bit of a statement style-wise. Whether its a fun color or a classic tan, be sure its something that you can live in and something you won’t be afraid to possibly wear with everything. Either a peep toe or closed toe are super cute, but why not get both. Last but not least I always suggest having a good wedge sandal. Nice enough to wear to garden soiree’s and tennis club luncheons, but fun enough to do your grocery shopping in. Pair them with flowing linen pants or cotton sailor pants and a loose tank tucked in a little and you’d be the talk of the town.
Below are a collection of sandals and flats we love for this season.
1. Hive and Honey Claudette Sandal – We love because of it’s simple leather design, but the ankle strap adds a touch of flirt. Can be paired with your favorite skinny’s (make the ankle strap go over the jeans to add spice) and white tee, or add a boho flair to a pencil skirt and tank.
2. Mulberry Signature Ballerina Candy Pink Smooth Patent – Love this, the color is bright and fresh and the design modern and simple. Any flat with these elements would be a great purchase. Pair these with red skinny’s and striped black and white tee for a foxy look or simply with white sailor pants and loose off the shoulder tee.
3. Lucky Brand Silvia – This chunky wedge is such a perfect answer to any outfit dilemma. Its versatile style and detailing, along with the nude color will go with practically any outfit, from skinny jeans, to a long skirt, short skirt, wide-legged pants, lace shorts etc. This is definitely a summer must-have.
4. Marc by Marc Jacobs New Love China – Rose Gold Leather Shoes – What we love about this shoe is the color, it’s bold and fresh. The shape is flattering to your feet and it’s also easy to slip on. The peep-toe adds that extra touch of foxy. Pair this shoe with those red, high-waisted cotton shorts and tee or your LBD.
5. Coconuts Native Womens’ Flats – Love this simple, every day shoe that you can throw on while running errands or simple puttering about. It has a feel of that coastal town life and, paired with the right outfit, will make it seem like you’ve been on vacation your whole life.
6. Madison Harding Camel Delilah Platforms – Love the simple design. The Wedge is a new “flatform” type and brings a fresh and trendy aspect to any outfit. In the Winter time, wear it with socks or tights to add aspect to your outfit, or to just make a statement. This shoe speaks of relaxation and full on Summer fun. Wear with just about anything.
7. Cynthia Vincent Laurie Flat – This flats’ simple elegance yet bold statement is perfect for Spring and Summer days. A white shoe is a necessity in any closet and this beauty looks small but it’ll say a lot about the woman that decides to wear them. They speak of vacations in Venice and strolled streets in Paris. Again the key elements to look for in a similar shoe is the fact that it’s white and has that cute peep toe. Anything along those lines will work.
8. Rick Owens Leather sandals – The beauty in these sandals are the simple design, the non fussy-ness and the fact that you can just slip them on and run out the door. The thin lines serve to accentuate the elegance of the foot and again, this can be worn with any outfit. Something to keep in mind when looking for your perfect slip-on flat is that the shoe has to look good on your foot. Make sure you keep those feet looking fresh!
9. Ancient Greek Sandals Melpomeni braided leather sandals – I love this shoe! This is the kind of sandal I would wear every single day of the Summer. The design is simple and elegant. It has that foreign flair that suggests you found it in a flea market in Bali and the color would look gorgeous against your tanned summer feet. Simple key features are the the slip-on factor, the braided string down the middle and the toe.
10. Qupid Puffin 28 Stone Canvas Lace-Up Ankle Booties – These are perfect for those cooler Spring days, paired with anything from colored tights and mini skirt to skinny jeans or high-waisted flared pants. The light color suggests the lightness of Spring and warmer weather, making it the perfect combination with your more Spring-esq outfits.
11. Madewell Belle By Sigerson Morrison® Suede Flats – Your basic ballet flat with an extra kick! I love the old, classic victorian style. This shoe is more versatile than it lets on and can be paired with black tights and a black skirt for an up-do situation or with your favorite harem pants and off the shoulder tee for a light, summery day. Wear these well! This unique design is sure to garner attention. Key elements in this shoe are the frontal area and the pointed toe.