by Cat Russell
It seems like the sun has finally decided to show us it’s beautiful face! Gone are the morose clouds, endless rains and foggy mornings. Instead we find the birds chirping and the kids frolicking. You finally have peace about putting your heavy winter boots away and embracing the warm tingling sensation of the sun on your feet.
It’s time to revisit our shoes, the ones we wear in the Spring and Summer, and if you’re like me, sometimes, in the Winter. I’m loving everything native, leather, easy, comfortable and something that reminds us of when we were young and carefree. Summer in California is about re-living your childhood. Everyday.
To start off with, you need a good, solid, go-to summer sandal. It’s the shoe that you’ll end up wearing the most, and with most everything in your closet. If you choose a good leather pair, they’ll even last you a few seasons. The style should be simple, but classic. A slip-on, so you can run out the door. Next you’ll need a good solid ballet flat, something that’s comfortable and makes a bit of a statement style-wise. Whether its a fun color or a classic tan, be sure its something that you can live in and something you won’t be afraid to possibly wear with everything. Either a peep toe or closed toe are super cute, but why not get both. Last but not least I always suggest having a good wedge sandal. Nice enough to wear to garden soiree’s and tennis club luncheons, but fun enough to do your grocery shopping in. Pair them with flowing linen pants or cotton sailor pants and a loose tank tucked in a little and you’d be the talk of the town.
Below are a collection of sandals and flats we love for this season.
1. Hive and Honey Claudette Sandal – We love because of it’s simple leather design, but the ankle strap adds a touch of flirt. Can be paired with your favorite skinny’s (make the ankle strap go over the jeans to add spice) and white tee, or add a boho flair to a pencil skirt and tank.
2. Mulberry Signature Ballerina Candy Pink Smooth Patent – Love this, the color is bright and fresh and the design modern and simple. Any flat with these elements would be a great purchase. Pair these with red skinny’s and striped black and white tee for a foxy look or simply with white sailor pants and loose off the shoulder tee.
3. Lucky Brand Silvia – This chunky wedge is such a perfect answer to any outfit dilemma. Its versatile style and detailing, along with the nude color will go with practically any outfit, from skinny jeans, to a long skirt, short skirt, wide-legged pants, lace shorts etc. This is definitely a summer must-have.
4. Marc by Marc Jacobs New Love China – Rose Gold Leather Shoes – What we love about this shoe is the color, it’s bold and fresh. The shape is flattering to your feet and it’s also easy to slip on. The peep-toe adds that extra touch of foxy. Pair this shoe with those red, high-waisted cotton shorts and tee or your LBD.
5. Coconuts Native Womens’ Flats – Love this simple, every day shoe that you can throw on while running errands or simple puttering about. It has a feel of that coastal town life and, paired with the right outfit, will make it seem like you’ve been on vacation your whole life.
6. Madison Harding Camel Delilah Platforms – Love the simple design. The Wedge is a new “flatform” type and brings a fresh and trendy aspect to any outfit. In the Winter time, wear it with socks or tights to add aspect to your outfit, or to just make a statement. This shoe speaks of relaxation and full on Summer fun. Wear with just about anything.
7. Cynthia Vincent Laurie Flat – This flats’ simple elegance yet bold statement is perfect for Spring and Summer days. A white shoe is a necessity in any closet and this beauty looks small but it’ll say a lot about the woman that decides to wear them. They speak of vacations in Venice and strolled streets in Paris. Again the key elements to look for in a similar shoe is the fact that it’s white and has that cute peep toe. Anything along those lines will work.
8. Rick Owens Leather sandals – The beauty in these sandals are the simple design, the non fussy-ness and the fact that you can just slip them on and run out the door. The thin lines serve to accentuate the elegance of the foot and again, this can be worn with any outfit. Something to keep in mind when looking for your perfect slip-on flat is that the shoe has to look good on your foot. Make sure you keep those feet looking fresh!
9. Ancient Greek Sandals Melpomeni braided leather sandals – I love this shoe! This is the kind of sandal I would wear every single day of the Summer. The design is simple and elegant. It has that foreign flair that suggests you found it in a flea market in Bali and the color would look gorgeous against your tanned summer feet. Simple key features are the the slip-on factor, the braided string down the middle and the toe.
10. Qupid Puffin 28 Stone Canvas Lace-Up Ankle Booties – These are perfect for those cooler Spring days, paired with anything from colored tights and mini skirt to skinny jeans or high-waisted flared pants. The light color suggests the lightness of Spring and warmer weather, making it the perfect combination with your more Spring-esq outfits.
11. Madewell Belle By Sigerson Morrison® Suede Flats – Your basic ballet flat with an extra kick! I love the old, classic victorian style. This shoe is more versatile than it lets on and can be paired with black tights and a black skirt for an up-do situation or with your favorite harem pants and off the shoulder tee for a light, summery day. Wear these well! This unique design is sure to garner attention. Key elements in this shoe are the frontal area and the pointed toe.